Asian Services In Action, Inc.’s (ASIA) Farming and Farmers Market Program, HAPI Fresh, is a very special initiative that seek to empower newly arrived immigrants and refugees (newer Americans) who face language and cultural barriers to harness their native agricultural skills to become self-sufficient. The general responsibilities of the VISTA Summer Associate include the following:
- foster community support for the market;
- help promote the market and farming program;
- keep accurate weekly records of market activities,
- understand both the farmers and the consumers’ needs in the farmers’ market and;
- with the assistance of ASIA’s staff, design and implement strategies to meet these needs of the program.
The Summer Associate is required to be on site at the market and be available to vendors and consumers during market operation hours. See below the official posting. To apply, visit AmeriCorps.
FARMING PROGRAM SUPPORT
• Assist Assistant Director and Program Coordinator in managing and supervising interns and volunteer worker in the Farming Program
• Outreach to local community and promote ASIA’s Farming Program and Farmers’ market work
• Maintain financial, operational, production, and volunteer records as appropriate
FARMERS’ MARKET SUPPORT
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with the markets’ vendors and consumers, community members, groups, and organizations.
• Assist Assistant Director and Program Coordinator in updating and preparing vendor applications, providing market-related information, and helping with other tasks.
• Enforce farmers’ market rules.
• Assist vendors by providing limited set-up help.
• Assist vendors with sales, especially during busy times.
• Ensure safety and cleanliness of the site before, during, and at the conclusion of each market.
Program Benefits: Living Allowance, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Training.
Terms: Car recommended, Permits attendance at school during off hours, Permits working at another job during off hours.
Service Areas: Health, Community and Economic Development, Community Outreach.
Skills: Recruitment, Writing/Editing, Community Organization, Business/Entrepreneur, General Skills, Computers/Technology, Communications.