Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Full-Time Medical Assistant – Mid Level position at our International Community Health Center. Under the direction of the Clinic Manager and Provider, performs patient care duties for infant through geriatric patients. May be called upon to assist with general clerical/reception duties if needed. Upholds quality standards and supports the mission of ICHC and assists in training new Medical Assistants at the clinic.
To view the full job description, click here.
Position Available: Medical Assistant – Mid Level
Department: International Community Health Center
Location: Akron, Ohio
Schedule: 1.0 FTE Full-Time, non-exempt
Pay Rate: Based on qualifications
Travel: Travel required between Akron and Cleveland frequently, inner-state
travel may be needed
Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Medical Assistant – Mid Level position at our International Community Health Center. Under the direction of the Clinic Manager and Provider, performs patient care duties for infant through geriatric patients. May be called upon to assist with general clerical/reception duties if needed. Upholds quality standards and supports the mission of ICHC and assists in training new Medical Assistants at the clinic.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greets patients and visitors in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries;
- Ensures availability of treatment information by filing and retrieving patient records;
- Assists patients and providers with form completion;
- Make copies as necessary;
- Telephone non-narcotic and other non-restricted prescription refills to pharmacies;
- Serves as access specialist to assist patient in receiving medical care; May schedule appointments and ancillaries based on ICHC protocols;
- Updates referral information on patients as needed into EPIC;
- Responds and works messages in the EPIC in-basket;
- Maintains vaccines inventory and equipment and anticipates needed supplies;
- Enter Refugee Screening data in ODJFS portal;
- Protects patients’ rights by maintaining confidentiality of personal and financial information;
- Maintains operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes;
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing specific duties as needed;
- Able to open and/or lock clinic area if necessary;
- Doing regular controls on Point of Care equipment & monitoring/document of fridge temperatures;
- Provides trainings to new Medical assistants as needed;
- Able to substitute at alternate ICHC site if needed.
Clinical (Back Office Duties)
- Discards soiled linen and supplies after every examination;
- Provides care in a tactful, courteous and culturally appropriate manner;
- Verifies patients by using two identifiers and identifies him or herself as “I am your medical assistant; my name is…”
- Communicates with the providers promptly any outstanding abnormal findings in questionnaire, vital signs or physical signs;
- Alerts providers any unusual patient behaviors or concerning comments;
- Reconciles medications;
- Verifies patient contact information and pharmacy information;
- Enters Reason for Visit;
- Conducts vital signs (temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, pulse oximetry, and blood pressure);
- Obtains head circumference for pediatric population as indicated;
- Performs PHQ depression scales and pain scale;
- Sets up and collects labels and sets up transport for specimen if needed; performs CLIA approved tests according defined competencies; administer intramuscular shots under physicians’ guidance;
- Escorts patients and prepare patient for appropriate examination; chaperone and/or assists patients and physicians during examination and routine procedures;
- Participates in patient discharge by reinforcing patient education; provides teaching materials as appropriate;
- Cleans medical equipment;
- Adheres to sterile technique standards, universal precaution related to safe handling of hazardous infectious waste and body substance precautions;
- Stocks the examining rooms and tables;
- Retrieves faxed lab results and file in patient folders if needed;
- Escorts patients to care areas (e.g. Phlebotomy area, lobby);
- Performs basic EKG; phlebotomy; blood glucose monitoring and respiratory therapy (assisting in oxygen therapy and pulse oximetry); performs ear washes as directed;
- Assists with sterile procedures including but not limited to wound care; removes dressings; wash or rinse wounds; participates in the application of dressing utilizing sterile technique and specialize skin care procedures;
- Assists other tasks defined by the provider(s) or the nurse(s) in clinic related to patient care.
- Multi-lingual; fluent in both English and second language (Asian dialect or language preferred)
- Graduate of approved medical assistant program or comparable certification or degree, 1+
years of experience preferred;
- Mid-level MA experience; prefer work experience in a community health center or other
- Experience with health center/clinic and EHR/PMS is a plus (familiarity with EPIC is desired).
- Knowledge of basic medical procedures, medical terminology and ability to communicate well
with patients and staff is essential;
- Computer skills: word processing, familiar with databases and data entry;
- Ability to work with different ethnic groups and nationalities; strong cultural competence;
- Ability to multi-task, is flexible and has good attention to detail;
- Strong customer service skills (including telephone).
The position reports to the Clinic Manager and Provider. We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical and soft skills, high energy, maturity and potential for leadership.
ASIA offers a competitive benefits package that includes personal, vacation and holiday paid time off; health insurance stipend; dental/vision coverage, life, and long-term insurance; retirement contribution match; professional development opportunities; and other incentives. Part-time staff is eligible for pro-rated benefits package based on FTE.
Please send cover letter and resume to HRManager@asiaohio.org.
Visit www.asiaohio.org. No phone calls, please.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and disabled are encouraged to apply.