Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Medical Assistant – Mid Level Part-Time position at our International Community Health Center. Under the direction of the Clinic Manager and Provider, this position will perform patient care duties for infant through geriatric patients. Within this role, you would be called upon to assist with general clerical/reception duties as needed. The Medical Assistant will uphold quality standards and supports the mission of ASIA-ICHC and assists in training new Medical Assistants at the health center.
To view the job description, click here.
ASIA, Inc. provides culturally and linguistically appropriate resources to ensure effective programming that addresses the needs of the AAPI and new American communities in Northeast Ohio.
Position Available: Medical Assistant – Mid Level
Department: International Community Health Center
Location: Akron, Ohio
Schedule: 0.6 to 0.8 FTE Part-Time, non-exempt position
Pay Rate: Based on qualifications
Travel: Travel required between Akron and Cleveland frequently, inner-state
travel may be needed
Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Medical Assistant – Mid Level position at our International Community Health Center. Under the direction of the Clinic Manager and Provider, this position will perform patient care duties for infant through geriatric patients. Within this role, you would be called upon to assist with general clerical/reception duties as needed. The Medical Assistant will uphold quality standards and supports the mission of ASIA-ICHC and assists in training new Medical Assistants at the health center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet patients and visitors in person or on the telephone, answering or referring inquiries;
- Ensure availability of treatment information by filing and retrieving patient records;
- Assists patients and providers with form completion;
- Make copies as necessary;
- Telephone non-narcotic and other non-restricted prescription refills to pharmacies;
- Serves as an access specialist to assist the patient in receiving medical care and schedule appointments and ancillaries based on ICHC protocols;
- Update referral information of patients as needed into EPIC;
- Respond and work messages into the EPIC in-basket;
- Maintain vaccines inventory and equipment and anticipate needed supplies;
- Enter Refugee Screening data in ODJFS portal;
- Protect patient’s rights by maintaining the confidentiality of personal and financial information;
- Maintain operations by following policies and procedures and reporting needed changes;
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing specific duties as needed;
- Open and/or lock clinic area if necessary;
- Conduct regular control on Point of Care equipment & monitoring/document of fridge temperatures;
- Provide trainings to new Medical Assistants as needed;
- Be able to substitute at alternate ICHC site if needed;
Clinical (Back Office Duties)
- Discard soiled linen and supplies after every examination;
- Provide care in a tactful, courteous and culturally appropriate manner;
- Verify patients by using two identifiers and identify him or herself as “I am your medical
- assistant; my name is…”;
- Communicate with the providers promptly on any outstanding abnormal findings in a questionnaire, vital signs or physical signs;
- Alert providers of any unusual patient behaviors or concerning comments;
- Reconcile medications;
- Verify patient contact information and pharmacy information;
- Enter Reason for Visit;
- Conduct vital signs (temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, pulse oximetry, and blood pressure);
- Obtain head circumference for the pediatric population as indicated;
- Perform a PHQ depression scale and pain scale;
- Set up and collect labels and set up transport for specimen if needed, perform CLIA approved tests according to defined competencies, administer intramuscular shots under physicians’ guidance;
- Escort patients and prepare the patients for appropriate examination, chaperone and/or assist patients and physicians during examination and routine procedures;
- Participate in patient discharge by reinforcing patient education, provide teaching materials as appropriate;
- Clean medical equipment;
- Adhere to sterile technique standards, universal precaution related to safe handling of hazardous infectious waste and body substance precautions;
- Stock the examining rooms and tables;
- Retrieve faxed lab results and file in patient folders if needed;
- Escort patients to care areas (e.g. Phlebotomy area, lobby);
- Perform basic EKG; phlebotomy; blood glucose monitoring and respiratory therapy (assisting in oxygen therapy and pulse oximetry), perform ear washes as directed;
- Assist with sterile procedures including but not limited to wound care, remove dressings, wash or rinse wounds, participate in the application of dressing utilizing sterile technique and specialize skin care procedures;
- Assist other tasks defined by the provider(s) or the nurse(s) in the clinic related to patient care.
- Bilingual preferred (fluent in both English and a second language), but not essential;
- A graduate of the approved medical assistant program or comparable certification or degree, 1+ years of experience preferred;
- Mid-level MA experience, prefer work experience in a community health center or other comparable environments;
- Experience with health center/clinic and EHR/PMS is a plus (familiarity with EPIC is desired);
- Knowledge of basic medical procedures, medical terminology and ability to communicate well with patients and staff is essential;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office and OS applications;
- Must be adept in working with diverse staff who are multi-cultural and multi-lingual;
- Ability to work with different ethnic groups and nationalities, strong cultural competence;
- Ability to multi-task and is flexible with good attention to detail;
- Strong customer service skills (including telephone);
- Must pass a criminal background check;
- Valid Ohio State driver’s license preferred;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
The position reports to the Clinic Manager and Provider. We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical and soft skills, high energy, maturity and potential for leadership.
ASIA offers a competitive benefits package that includes personal, vacation and holiday paid time off; health insurance stipend; dental/vision coverage, life, and long-term insurance; retirement contribution match; professional development opportunities; and other incentives. Part-time staff is eligible for pro-rated benefits package based on FTE.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and disabled are encouraged to apply.