Affordable Care Act Limited-English Outreach and Support for Asian Community in Ohio

For Immediate Release
October 1, 2013
Please contact:  Rui Zhang, Communication and Policy Assistant | |330-535-3263 x224

Affordable Care Act Limited-English Outreach and Support for Asian Community in Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio — Starting today, millions of Americans across the country—for many of whom health insurance was just a dream before the Affordable Care Act (also known as “Obamacare”)—will be able to shop for, compare and enroll in more affordable health insurance in the Health Insurance Marketplace. In Ohio – 14% of Ohioans who are uninsured will be provided this opportunity as the remaining 86% who are insured will be provided more choices and stronger coverage than ever.

To maximize the enrollment of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islanders in Ohio, Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) has joined a national outreach strategy lead by the Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF), the Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO), Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Los Angeles (Advancing Justice-LA), and Asian Americans Advancing Justice-AAJC (Advancing Justice-AAJC).

As part of the strategy, community organizations and health centers centered in 16 target states are providing translated educational information and enrollment support to Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders to ensure that they understand what health reform means, know their health insurance options and are able to find a plan that works for them.

“It is critical that our AA/NHPI community is able to fully understand the Affordable Care Act in order to make the best decision for themselves and their families.  Through the support of this national outreach strategy, we can ensure that our community is receiving information regarding ACA in a culturally competent manner,” states ASIA, Inc. Executive Director, Michael Byun.

ASIA, Inc. is playing an active role in the ACA by serving as a Navigator in collaboration with the Ohio Association of Food Banks.  As a Navigator, ASIA, Inc. will be providing education and outreach opportunities and specifically target limited-English proficient AA/NHPI communities.  ASIA, Inc. will also be working closely with partners in Columbus and Cincinnati to create a consistent message around ACA for AA/NHPI Ohioans.  In Ohio, there are over 16,000 uninsured AA/NHPI who are eligible for coverage through the Marketplace.

ASIA, Inc. is also supporting the #GetCovered Tumblr project to educate communities about the importance of open enrollment in the new Marketplace. The #GetCovered Tumblr will feature people from across the country sharing in their own words why it is important for them to #GetCovered. The goal is to build both awareness about the health reform law and new opportunities for coverage, as well as address questions and concerns about the law.  To participate in the #GetCovered project, visit

For more information about health reform and resources available in English and Asian and Pacific Islander languages, visit APIAHF’s health reform resource center at

Visit for more information about the Marketplace and how to enroll.


Asian Services In Action
Founded in 1995, Asian Services In Action’s mission is to empower and advocate for Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders (AAPIs); and to provide AAPIs access to quality, culturally, and linguistically appropriate information and services. Visit to learn more.  Follow ASIA on Facebook and Twitter!