The Ohio Commission on Minority Health (OCMH) is hosting a free Capacity Building Training from 9 am to 4:30 pm on Friday, June 6, 2014 at Quest Conference Center located at 8405 Pulsar Place in Columbus, Ohio 43240.
- The Capacity Building Training will enhance the capabilities, skills and knowledge of community-based organizations (CBOs) addressing racial and ethnic health disparities in Ohio. Capacity Building is a broad term that includes actions that improve organizational effectiveness.
Part of OCMH’s 2011-2015 Strategic Plan is to enhance the organizational development of grassroots groups striving for health equity for Ohio’s minority populations. The Capacity Building Training will achieve the following OCMH Strategic Objectives:
• To empower organizational leadership to address health disparities at various levels;
• To enhance the organizational development of CBOs addressing health disparities in Ohio;
• To advocate for diversity and culturally competent healthcare and health related workforce;
• To increase the capturing, analyzing and dissemination of health data regarding racial and ethnic populations; and
• To improve the technological efficiency of community-based organizations addressing health disparities.
Who Should Attend:
Individuals addressing minority health and racial and ethnic health disparities within the following organizations should attend this free training:
– Community-based organizations;
– Faith-based organizations, including church health ministries;
– Small and newly formed minority business organizations; and
– Grassroots and Neighborhood-Specific groups.
The training consists of two plenary sessions and three breakout tracks: Organizational Development, Technology and Skill Building. The plenary session topics are Cultural Competency by MACC Executive Director Charleta B. Tavares and How to Advocate for Health Policy Change by Former Senator Ray Miller.
- The Organizational Development Track features the following sessions: Becoming a Tax Exempt Organization; Effective Board Development; Fiscal Management; and Partnership Development.
- The Technology Track features the following sessions: Hosting Webinars and Online Meetings; Creating Maps to Display Health Disparities; Social Media and PR; and Tools to Find Grant Funding.
- The Skill Building Track features the following sessions: Evaluation; Media Relations; Internship Management; and Project Management.
Lunch is on your own. No refreshments will be offered at this event.
Registration: This Training is FREE!
Individuals may register online at http://list.em.ohio.gov/t/
Paper registration forms may be requested from the OCMH staff by calling Reina Sims, Program Manager, or Thometta Cozart Brooks at614-466-4000 or by emailing Reina.Sims@mih.ohio.gov or Thometta.Brooks@mih.ohio.gov.
Seating is Limited! Registration Deadline is Friday, May 23, 2014.