Position Available: Graduate Level, Post- Baccalaureate and Work-Study Opportunity
Location: Akron and Cleveland
Asian Services In Action (ASIA) is a growing non-profit multi-service agency with two sites (Akron and Cleveland) serving low-income, underserved, limited English-speaking Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) immigrant and refugee populations of all ages. Our mission is to empower AAPIs in Northeast Ohio to enhance their well-being, build their communities and to improve their self-sufficiency through culturally and linguistically relevant information and services.
ASIA has opportunities for graduate-level internships, post-baccalaureate experiences, or work-study services. Opportunities are often time-limited (at least one school term – one quarter or one semester; preference is for one year commitments but open to duration on case by case situation).
Current or potential opportunities are:
• Assist ASIA to provide oral interpreting and document translation services
• Assist program staff to provide youth tutoring afterschool
• Work with clients to improve their English
• Work with staff to develop ASIA’s presence on social networking environment (Facebook and Twitter)
• Shadow and assist staff run support groups, outreach events, and community workshops in the area of community health promotions, mental health, domestic violence and others
• Help low-income clients complete their income tax filing during tax season (January – April)
• Help low-income client apply for public benefits and assist them to access services
• Help ASIA’s leadership team with special projects in the area of program development, evaluation, social enterprise, strategic planning, etc.
• And other duties or projects as assigned (based on personal interests and agency’s priorities)
• Graduate level internship is for those in the field of public health, nursing, social work, business/accounting, or public administration who are required to complete one or more school terms (semesters or quarters) for externship, practicum or field experience
• Positions are typically unpaid; ASIA is however open to work with colleges and universities on a cost-share if one receives financial aid (e.g. work-study financial aid award); nominal stipend or fellowships are available based on funding availability
• 5-20 hours/week commitment; available some weekends
• Proficiency with or willingness to learn Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with diverse population/personalities.
• Bilingual, familiarity or proficiency in an Asian language
• Resourceful and flexible; self-starter
• Good written and oral communication skills
Inquiries should be directed to Michael Byun, Executive Director via e-mail (email@example.com.) No calls please.