Position Available: Hmong Women’s Group Educator and Coordinator (CYF)
Location: Akron, Ohio
Pay Rate: (The Hmong Women’s Group Educator/Coordinator is an independent contractor position. 10-15 hours per week. Start/end dates: March 3, 2014 – June 27, 2014. The Educator/Coordinator will be paid $14.00/hour.)
Asian Services In Action (ASIA) is a growing non-profit multi-service agency with two sites (Akron and Cleveland) and operates the International Community Health Center, a federally qualified health center serving predominantly low-income, underserved, limited English-speaking Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) and other immigrant and refugee populations of all ages. Our mission is to empower AAPIs in Northeast Ohio to enhance their well-being, build their communities and to improve their self-sufficiency through culturally and linguistically relevant information and services.
The Children, Youth, and Family Services Department provides programs and services for children and families, including: case management and coordination, information and referrals, drug prevention education and alternative activities, English language education for learners, summer and afterschool programming for children and youth, parenting education, domestic violence and sexual assault case management, legal education around family law issues, healthy relationship education for youth, service learning, and others.
Under the supervision of the department manager, the Hmong Women’s Group Educator and Coordinator is responsible for working with the Hmong Women’s Groups team members to provide direct and support services for immigrant and refugee families and individuals through the Hmong Women’s Groups. The Educator/Coordinator will work directly with Hmong Women’s Groups team members in providing direct service and programmatic support needed.
We are looking for a person who is independent and flexible. He or she is a team player, communicates effectively, and is results driven. The position works actively with ethnic communities and coordinates the activities of the Womens’ Groups. The position reports directly to the Manager of Children, Youth, and Family Services.
- Outreach to and follow-up with Hmong women for recruitment and retention purposes
- Coordinating activities with the team members
- Attending sexual assault and domestic violence trainings
- Attending team meetings as required
- Providing traditional Hmong needlework
- Facilitating two women’s groups twice a week for 12 weeks:
- Preparing and implementing a support group around traditional Hmong needlework
- Preparing and implementing a support group around fitness, such as dance and other physical activities
- Working with team to provide education on healthy relationships, domestic violence, and sexual assault
- Working with team to provide education on parenting and English classes
- Provide required documentation (e.g., hours worked, reporting, etc.)
- Excellent people skills
- Bilingual proficiency in speaking/listening in Hmong and English
- Must be authorized to work and complete a background check
Please send cover letter and resume to: Kitty Leung (email@example.com). Visit www.asiaohio.org
No calls please.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and disabled are encouraged to apply.