Position Available: Parent Educator, READY Program
Location: Akron, Ohio
Pay Rate: Base on qualifications
Asian Services In Action (ASIA) is a growing non-profit multi-services agency with two sites (Akron and Cleveland) serving predominantly low-income, underserved, limited English-speaking Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) immigrant and refugee populations of all ages. Our mission is to empower AAPIs in Northeast Ohio to enhance their well-being, build their communities and to improve their self-sufficiency through culturally and linguistically relevant information and services.
ASIA is offering a flexible, energetic individual to work in community outreach with the READY Program as a parent educator. The READY Program addresses the specific problem / population of low development of English language proficiency skills for refugee children ages (infant to five) learning English where English is not their primary language. The program serves families mainly from the Nepalese, Mon, Burmese and Karen communities (refugees from Myanmar who are considered a “high need” emerging population in Summit County). The READY Program addresses the challenges confronted by preschool-aged refugee children whose families and caregivers have limited English proficiency.
To help families help their children prepare for school, READY has a Parent Educator conducting personalized monthly home visits, providing referral to resources, coordinating interpreting services (as needed), and monthly community parent/child group meetings. The duties for the Parent Educator are described below.
Duties and Responsibilities: Parents as Teachers National Center, Inc. (PAT) certified parent educator provides information, support and encouragement that parents need to help their child develop optimally during the crucial early years of life from prenatal to five years. This is done by providing parent education and support in the form of personal home visits, group meetings, screening, and linkages to a network of resources for parents and children.
1. Reports to and assist the Supervisor of the READY Program in developing incentives for attendance of the parent’s community group meeting.
2. Coordinating up to two group meetings per month.
3. Attend trainings related to PAT Certification
4. Conduct Ages and Stages screening of children and computer entry of data and maintenance in county-wide system.
5. Oversee child care volunteer services at group meetings.
6. Prepare educational materials for presentation at meetings and home visitation sessions.
7. Support office organization/filing, compiling information for monthly reports on services.
8. Making activity and planning lessons for home visits
9. Monitoring the organization of games and instruction exercises during a home visitation or community group meeting of parents and their children.
10. Set up any meeting room facilitation needs.
11. Help coordinate meeting information with an interpreter who may interpret at meetings and or schedule families to come to meetings.
12. Develop community outreach activities where programs can be attended by parents and children in lieu of a group meeting.
13. Identify and attend community cultural events and organizational meetings representing READY Program with other early childhood planning functions.
13. Confer with ASIA program staff in other service areas to understand programs and service available for clients.
14. Provide timely activity reports to the supervisor.
15. Attend/participate in agency meetings and office meetings.
15. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor and Executive Director
*Enjoy working with children
*Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with diverse population/personalities.
* Resourceful and flexible
* Available to work evenings and weekends as needed
* Oral communication skills
* Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work well autonomously and in a team.
* A strong interest in Asian American community and human services a plus.
* Asian language proficiency a plus
* Access to transportation with valid driver’s license required.
* Certification or future certification within 30 days of employment as Parent Educator from PAT.
Interested candidate, please email cover letter and resume to Mao Vue, Manager of Programs and Operation, email@example.com. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and disabled are encouraged to apply.