The Asian Pacific Fund has announced two $1,000 scholarships for restaurant workers and children of restaurant workers that are available from the Shui Kuen and Allen Chin Scholarship, a program of the Asian Pacific Fund. The scholarship, founded in 2005, honors the values of Detroit restaurant owners Shui Kuen and Allen Chin through supporting the education aspirations of children of workers in the Asian/Pacific Islander food service industry in the U.S. Eligibility criteria are:
- Grade level: Incoming freshman or current, full-time undergraduate in 2011-12
- Self or parent currently or formerly employed at an Asian-owned or Asian cuisine restaurant,
- Community advocacy and social justice work on behalf of Asian American, immigrant, gay and lesbian and other progressive causes
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Financial need
- Status: U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- Note: past scholarship recipients are eligible to apply
Application Deadline: March 17, 2011
Click here for the on-line application.
The Asian Pacific Fund is a community foundation established to improve the health and well-being of all Asian Americans in the Bay Area. The Fund offers 17 scholarship programs to help undergraduate and graduate students achieve their education and career goals. For more information, please go to www.asianpacificfund.org where you can find a link to all the scholarship programs that they offer.